Saturday, May 24, 2008

Success is a packed suitcase...

That's right...I'm all packed. For those of you who have talked to me in the last week, you know my anxiety about packing. Well, mission accomplished! I got all of my clothes into 1 bag! 

I've got so much going through my head right now that I don't even know where to begin. I'm really excited. For what, I'm not even totally sure- the prospect of an adventure, learning about a new culture, traveling, going somewhere for the first time, and the chance at personal growth. I would be a little naive to say that I'm not nervous about anything. I'm nervous that something will go wrong. I'm nervous that I will have a nervous breakdown of some kind. I'm nervous that I will fall in love with South Africa and not want to come back. I'm nervous that I will come back and have no idea of what I want to do with my life. I'm nervous for a lot of things, but if I only think about the bad...it will probably happen! 

So pushing all of that to the back of my mind, I set out on my first big adventure. I have never really left North America before. I am going to be on the other side of the world for the next three weeks. I still haven't totally wrapped my head around that yet. I'm sure the realization won't come until I get there. So for now, its excitement! 

If my first success was packing my suitcase, I'm excited for the rest of the success I will see on this trip. Now on to my next goal to conquer....getting some sleep! 

2 comments:

Elise said...

Congrats on the suitcase!

My advice: take pictures and write as much as you can, especially the little things that you think you'll remember.

And don't forget to breathe!

On another note, I'm impressed with your perspective on this trip. I think this will be a great growing experience for you. I'm looking forward to hearing about it!

XOXO
E

Dad said...

Everything in 1 bag? Very impressive!
I hear the mountains in that area are very pretty and quite a sight. I am not to sure about all of the other sites. I know people in Tanzania but they are not there right now and of course its not like walking across the street to visit!! How does the ocean look from there?
Have fun as you grow on this trip.
Love you!
Dad