Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Week of craziness!

This is my effort at trying to be "tech savy." Our instructor (Aaorn) told us that we should try to post something on our blgs before we leave to get it all figured out. Hence, I'm writing this entry. Hopefully it posts, and then consider that mission accomplished!

Here's a little bit of background on our trip for those of you who have no clue why I would want to trek halfway around the world for three weeks. I might be crazy, but I'm in good company. I will be traveling with 17 others plus our instructor. We are traveling to Cape Town, South Africa. While I am there I will be studying different kinds of leadership, how public work and community have an impact on leadership, and it will all be surrounding the HIV/AIDS issue.

The biggest questions that I have been getting from people lately is: "Why do you need to travel all the way to South Africa to fix the HIV/AIDS problem? We have people right here in America who have HIV/AIDS and need help too."

I have been thinking about that question a lot lately. To those people I answer this:
That is a great point. There are injustices going on in the U.S. right before my very eyes that I am doing absolutely nothing about. However, this trip is not an effort at "fixing" anything. I am going to South Africa to learn about how their country views public work centering around a problem that I have learned a lot about. I am also intereted in learning about a different culture and point of view. It is not my intention to go down the South Africa and dedicate myself to "fixing" their country. (That would imply that their country is broken and I have the right to do something about it.) Hopefully, the things I learn while I am in South Africa can help make me a better person more equipped to be a better citizen of the world.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Hey Honey,
Today we had a great ND rainstorm. The clouds were ominous,lightning and of couse, thunder. It was so refreshing after all the wind and drought we have had. It was great. Hannah worked at the pool today and forgot her sunscreen. Remember our cruise last year, need I say more!!!! Heidi is excited about rounding up cattle tomorrow at Eslinger's. She has her boots all polished. They let Denise go at the Hazen Clinic so I have been extremely busy. We are having to work extra days. Not exactly what I want to be doing in the summer months. A would like a little cheese with that whine. Tell TJ I am thankful he is a furnace,but not to get too friendly!!! This is your mother speaking.Thanks again for the update. Love hearing from you. Have fun on the Safari. Be careful.
Love ya
Mom