Monday, June 2, 2008

Pictures as promised!

I know that I promised to post pictures yesterday, but that clearly didn't work out. So as they say...better late than never! I have TONS more pictures, but the process of loading them all takes a ridiculous amount of time. That's just another excuse for you all to hang out with me when I get home, so you can see my pictures :)

So here are a couple that I thought you might enjoy:



This is a picture of the harbor that our boat set sail from so that we could go and see Seal Island. As you can see it was absolutely beautiful, and ten minutes later we were rocking back and forth in the pouring rain. Gotta love Cape Town weather.



This is me at Boulder Beach with the penguins. AMAZING! That was one of the few times when I wasn't wet that day.


Penguins are so adorable. They were scampering in the water together. I do a really good impression of a penguin walking. Our tour guide Audrey told me that it was one of the best that she has seen.


This is a picture from the top of the mountain at the Cape of Good Hope. Absolutely phenomenal!! This is where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet as well.


Robben Island is the prison where Nelson Mandela and other political prisoners were kept during apartheid.


This is a view of the University of Cape Town from Upper Campus. This is a rugby field.

This is our entire group (minus Aaron our instructor) on our first morning in Cape Town. Check out the background to see the view from our houses. I wish that I had a view like that from Minnesota.

Those are all of the pictures that I have for now. You will have to wait in suspense for the safari pictures. I am IN LOVE with giraffes, and I'm pretty sure that they love me too!

On a completely different note, we went to church at the township that we are staying at Tuesday-Thursday. That's right mom...we went to church! It was one of the most vibrant services that I have been to in a long time. There was beautiful singing, dancing, and the message was in both Xhosa and English. We are all looking forward to attending next Sunday as well.

That's all for now...ciao!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Hi Hil! I love the pics of the penguins. I am sure that you have lots of pics to show us one of these days!! Hopefully everything is going well. Good luck on your time in the community areas. Sounds like quite a learning experience. Tell Nate "Happy Late Birthday" from us. We do read everyones blog!
I would send you our love in Xhosa but I can't find a very good translator out there!!
So.... "¡Amarte y faltarte!"

Dad

(I'd send it in sign language but it would take WAY too many lines to get it done!)

Terry said...

I loved seeing the penguins!! One of my favorite animals. Beautiful pictures! You look great "dry".

Elise said...

Penguins! Super fun :)